Hopefully, if you followed our guide about Domain Names you will now either have a name or be ready to register a domain with your hosting company once you have chosen the one you want to host your website.
Let’s start by explaining what a web host is and why you need it. Every website that exists on the internet takes up physical space on a web server somewhere. These web servers store all the individual files, images, text, etc., in storage facilities all around the world. They provide the means by which a website page is sent to whatever browser is being used that requests to view that page.
Very basically, that’s what web hosting is, what a web host does and why every website needs hosting.
Types Of Hosting
There are a wide variety of hosting options, depending on the type of website you have and the amount of traffic – visitors, your site is going to attract. Some of these are:
Virtual Private Server Hosting
Because this course is designed for people planning to design a WordPress website as a beginner we are going to limit the information to hosting suitable for this particular CMS. In other words WordPress Hosting. WordPress can technically work with any type of hosting including those mentioned above. However, you can get faster and more secure performance with web hosting services designed specifically for it.
If you are interested in any of the other more involved website platforms or hosting options don’t hesitate to ask us for more information about your specific requirements using our contact form.
There are, of course, many web hosts, and many offer WordPress Hosting Plans as an option but after much research, we use and recommend Hostinger. Here are some of the reasons we do so:
- The Hostinger server is designed to host multiple WordPress sites seamlessly.
- Hostinger will also take care of any updates and technical adjustments.
- On top of that, you’ll get hands-on support for WordPress-related issues.
- WordPress hosting plans come with pre-installed plugins and themes.
- Automatic WordPress installation.
- Hostinger WordPress hosting plans come with the LiteSpeed Cache plugin pre-installed, making the server perform up to four times faster.
- Hostinger offers imunify360, among other protection measures, to monitor against malware and any other potential threats at the server level.
- Professional developers can benefit from such tools as Git, phpMyAdmin, and staging environments.
- Free Email Accounts
- One Free Domain.
- Unlimited FTP Accounts
- Unlimited Cronjobs
- Four managed WordPress plans to choose from, all of which come with a free SSL certificate:-
- Single WordPress. Suited for small websites, the plan costs as little as $1.99/month and allows you to create a single website. It comes with 30 GB of storage and 100 GB of bandwidth.
- WordPress Starter. Recommended for personal WordPress websites. From $3.99/month, create up to 100 websites, and get 100 GB of disk space, a pre-installed free Jetpack plugin, and unlimited bandwidth.
- Business WordPress. This plan is primarily optimized for small to medium-sized businesses and costs from $6.99/month. Some of its notable features include 200 GB of disk space, free CDN, and daily backups.
- WordPress Pro. You’ll get 200 GB of disk space, Jetpack Personal, and all of the previously mentioned perks from $11.59/month.
As a further incentive if you sign up for Hostinger using any of the links provided here you can get a further discount of up to 20% on any hosting plan you choose.
- This is the second article in our WordPress Website Course. The next chapter will be about downloading and installing WordPress so stay tuned and if you want to know immediately it’s published, please sign up below.